Moving entire house is most challenging act itself, and it becomes even tougher while you are moving with your dog. Dogs are always very attached to their territories, that’s why many times it has been noticed that when we shift to new location, dog chases for the old house and go missing.
They require little more time to get adjusted and below mentioned tips will assist to relocate them in better manner:
- Before relocation Things to Be Taken Care
- Maintain your dog’s routine lifestyle like food, morning walk, playing with him or anything else like before. Dogs are very smart animals and they immediately notice the different things happening around. Any changes in their daily routine can badly effect their health out of anxiety. It is advisable to take Home Relocation Services in Delhi NCR for pets.
- At least a week before you have planned to move, visit your dog’s veterinarian and take history card and vaccination report card, which will help in future. If you are moving far distance or to some different city, then it will help new doctor to know about your dog’s history. If your dog is old aged, then little sedative will help while travelling, but such decisions are to be discussed with the doctor first.
- On the exhausting day of packing and moving, keep your dog in a separate room. He will definitely get stressed out by seeing so much happening here and there or by seeing unknown packers running everywhere in the home. Keeping dog in the locked room will also help to escape injury while many things are moving in and out. It is suggested to keep them in a familiar room having unwashed bedding and possessions around. Don’t forget to keep a travel carrier around them 3-4 days prior to the move, so dog becomes familiar with it. While packing things, time to time go to his room and spend some quality time with him by playing. If one of the house member be with him while others monitor the packing exercise will be the best thing, as dog will not feel alone or ignored.
- Keep your dog’s eating plates, toys and other things as last to be packed, so they remain comfortable with familiar things around them. Do not wash beddings even after you move in the new house for some days. Smell is the most important factor for a dog to identify things and unwashed beddings and other things will help them to adjust in the new home faster.
- You may also take your dog to the new home some days prior to move, so it may help him start developing familiarity with the new place. However, it may revert also as dog may return to old territory repeatedly after shifting. It is a common nature of any animal to wander back to their previous territory due to safety element existing there.
- If you are moving to a different city, then do not feed them at least 12 hours prior to the move. This will prevent them from any travelling sickness while moving.
- Keep a Travel checklist handy, so you don’t miss things in hassled of moving.
- Dog’s daily food and enough water from the old home, as sudden change of water will affect their digestion.
- Veterinary certificates and previous case records.
- Food and water bowls, Toys and Other things.
- Unwashed Bedding.
- On the Moving Day
- Ensure that dog has enough required space in the car to stretch. Keep checking about them at regular intervals by giving them personal attention.
- If it is a long journey, then ensure that they get regular breaks for water and toilet.
- In the New Home
- Very First thing to check if boundary fencing is secure and hole free from all sides. They are of sufficient height to prevent dog runs away in initial stage.
- Try to arrange things in similar passion like old home, in bedroom or wherever your dog will be staying. This will give them asecure feeling of similarity.
- Place your dog in the small room, while you are busy unpacking tips in the new house. Keep dog’s food and water plates and other toys in the same manner as like in the old place to avoid any unfamiliarity. If possible, one of the family member can sit with him to feel him loved.
- Do not let your dog move outdoor freely without leash in initial days, unless they become adapted to the new territory. Pets usually take longer time to get accustomed with new surroundings, so help your dog to establish his territory. Chase away other dogs if seen around as this will help your pet to feel secure at new place. Don’t forget to keep giving them water which you carried from the old house for some days and change it progressively.
- Avoid punishing your dog for initial misconduct, as they are already struggling to get adjusted in new surroundings. If dog behaves differently, then help him to reduce the stress. Try to be patient if they break something, as any punishment will only make the condition worst. If you think they are sick in new surroundings, then immediately take them to the doctor with health report card.
- Ensure that you are stick to their regular routines, as this will assist them to get adjusted in better manner. Don’t change your attention towards them as they are very sensitive and this may cause serious behaviour issues.
- Once things settled in the new home, gradually introduce your dog to neighbours by going for a regular walk together in the garden. Try to go for longer walks, as this will help your dog to get adjusted with new roads in the new area.
There may be many other things to be taken into consideration, which depends on your dog’s nature.