Ganoderma lucidum, commonly known as the lingzi or reishi mushroom, is a polypore fungi that has been a useful part of Korean and Japanese folklore medicine for centuries for the improvement of immune system. It is termed as the ‘miracle mushroom’ for exhibiting a variety of curative effects to different biological disorders like anxiety, elevated blood pressure level, insomnia, asthma and so on. The therapeutic effects of G. lucidum have triggered the curiosity of many users worldwide and thus the plant extract is really making way through the medical advancement.
What are the benefits of reishi mushroom?
Different studies conducted on Ganoderma lucidum reveal the antioxidant and healing properties of the plant that has grabbed the limelight in the medical world. Apart from restoring insulin resistance in the body, the supplement has also purported to promote longevity by reducing risks of prostrate and other types of cancer. Other mechanisms support the fact of reishi mushrooms helping in regulating the immune system to increase tolerance capacity of an individual against deadly diseases. The extract has the power to boost the immune system when it is weakened and also reduce the immunological activities when the system is over-stimulated.
The 1970s and 1980s have been a breakthrough in the cultivation of lingzi mushroom and its easy availability in the market today. Researchers have studied the myriad effects of the supplement acting as an anti-diabetic, anti-cancerous, cardiotonic, chemopreventive, antioxidant, antiviral, immune system modulator, anti-hypertensive, anti-allergic and analgesic. Lingzi mushrooms are reported to be containing health promoting compounds like polysaccharides (β-glucans), triterpenes and sterols.
How does it work?
Preliminary research works show that reishi mushrooms fight cancer cells and helps to build up immunity against this life threatening disease. The mechanism works in the following pattern:
- Activates the natural killer cells or NK cells to fight against cytotoxicity posed by tumor cells.
- Decreases the probability of metastasis in prevailing tumor cells. Metastasis is the process by which cancer spreads to other body parts.
- Blocks the attacking tumor cells by interfering with the synthesis of metalloproteinase enzyme that promotes fusion of muscle cells at the time of embryo development.
- Promote the effectiveness of mitogen-activated protein kinase or MAPK signalling pathway.
- Reduces VEGF or vascular endothelial growth factor levels which stimulate angiogenesis and vasculogenesis during hypoxic conditions.
- Enhance sensitiveness of ovary to cisplatin drug.
- Prevent cisplatin-induced toxicity in nephrons.
How effective is it as a life extensive supplement?
Just next to one of the deadliest diseases like cancer is the different disorder of heart that is ruling the world population, especially in the US where around 25% of the people are reported to be suffering from heart problems. Heart diseases may arise from various causatives like malfunctioning of the cardiac muscles, insufficient of oxygenated blood or problems related to efficient dilation and contraction of blood vessels.
The supplement has been purported to promote longevity by triggering the following mechanisms that can improve proper heart functioning:
- As the plant contains important phytochemicals promoting healthy heart conditions, it can promise you better cardiac activities.
- Reduces cholesterol and triglyceride levels in blood.
- Assists you to cope up with environmental, psychological and sociological stress factors.
- Adenosine in the mushroom dissolves blood clots and improves haemoglobin production.