Known in the medical world as “Androgenic alopecia” this is the most common type of hair loss which affects both males and females. Quite often referred to as male or female “pattern baldness”, anyone with this condition will experience hair loss in a particular pattern that starts at the temples.
For men, this will begin with a decreasing hairline and baldness at the crown of the head, and in women the thinning of hair over all of the head. We have all seen the male type and maybe even the female type also, over the course of our lives and in some cases it can cause total baldness, even though hair on the back and sides of the head will remain.
In the Genes
- A high amount of dihydrotestosterone (DHT) in one’s scalp is normal for those with androgenic alopecia. (DHT is a type of androgen, a male hormone).
- Hair loss occurs in men more often due to the DHT adhering to androgen receptors on hair follicles, which preventsthe normal growth cycle.
- This genetic predisposition encourages hair follicles to shrink when connecting with the hormone, which then shortens the hair follicles’ life spans.
Various Treatments – What You Can Do
- These days, Novoscalp micro hair tattooing has become more popular than ever and consists of a hair tattoo, or scalp micropigmentation, that gives the look of a close buzz cut hairstyle.
- Various other non-surgical hair loss solutions include traditional wigs and hairpieces. The two major types are made up from natural hair and the synthetic type and are commonly known to everybody. Wigs and hairpieces have been with us for a very long time and were put to use in places such as ancient Egypt and Rome thousands of years ago.
- This type of hair loss solution involves the use of hair transplant surgery a process which can indeed be stressful and includes the extraction of hair follicles from the rear of the head, usually at the neckline, and then taking them and transplanting them into areas where there is baldness. The hair will then later on carry on growingin the same place as where it has been moved to.
- One more surgical solution, is called a scalp reduction,which involves the surgical removal of balding areas and then stretching and stitching the outstanding scalp back together.
- On the market, there are a number of shampoos that claim to be the answer to hair loss and maintain that the shampoo will stimulate the scalp and that new hair will then grow. After usage, the hair follicles will then go on to hopefully grow new hair in a process of hair restoration.
- Even though this may seem like a simple solution, it still hasn’t been shown to work for the majority of people.
Whatever method you decide to use, may you sooner than later be looking and feeling like a new person!